Most states require construction contractors to be licensed and bonded. The bond is similar to an insurance contract – if the contractor fails to perform in any way under the contract, you can file a claim against the bond to get the money you’re owed. Depending on the reason for the dispute, you also may be able to find relief by filing a complaint with your state’s licensing board. If you aren’t satisfied with the response of the company that wrote the bond, you may have to take both the contractor and the surety company to court.